Friday, July 30, 2010

'Feast or Famine': a time capsule

I received and signed off on the galleys of my short story, 'Feast or Famine', which will appear in Macabre: A Journey Through Australia's Darkest Fears (Brimstone Press).

It was an interesting, slightly scary experience, printing off the PDF and reading through it, with my red pen ready.

Slightly scary because I wrote the first version of 'Feast or Famine' waaaaay back in 2005. It was featured in The Writing Show's 2006 Halloween special, and then I submitted it to Macabre shortly after that. Following feedback from editor Angela Challis I rewrote the story, and since then I've been waiting for publication.

So checking out 'Feast or Famine' was a little bit like peeking into a time capsule. I'm happy to say that I'm still fairly happy with it, although I wonder how it's going to go down, given its rather gruesome subject matter.

Three-word synopsis: Journalism. Terrorism. Cannibalism.

Of course, there's much, much more to Macabre than my story. It's a veritable feast of Australian dark fiction, with classics by Australia's earliest horror writers, a selection from our existing 'masters' such as Terry Dowling and Kaaron Warren, and the 'new generation' Shane Jiraiya Cummings, Stephen M Irwin, David Conyers and much, much more.

Macabre: A Journey Through Australia's Darkest Fears is now available for pre-order from Brimstone Press.

Posted via email from garykemble's posterous

No comments: