Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Grant year, weeks 17 and 18: the end of the beginning

Wow. Somehow I missed week 17's post entirely, and week 18's is a couple of days late.

Must've lost track of time in the race to the finish line.

Finished the first draft. Well, sort of. It's never really that easy, is it? As soon as I'd 'finished' I knew that there were at least two things that needed to be changed before I send it off for the structural edit. Both relate to tattoos. Specifically the first two tattoos (so of course references to them are littered throughout the MS!).

There was an African component to the first two tattoos, because initially I was going to feature the Kihebo massacre as one of the 'flashbacks'. But probably two-thirds of the way through the MS I realised that it was just going to complicate things, since the bulk of the back story relates to stuff that happened in Afghanistan.

So, I still have to go back and change some of that stuff, and then over to the editor it goes.

It's exciting. This is also a dangerous time for me. Well, not dangerous in the sense of the dangers that my protagonists face. You know, bullets, bashings, death. But there's a danger that I'll rest on my laurels and not keep the momentum going.

Posted via email from garykemble's posterous

No comments: