Via Paul Landymore:The Queensland Writer's Centre is looking for offers of good and services to auction for its Writer On Rafts Flood Appeal to raise money for the Queensland Premier's Flood Appeal.
Between Christmas and New Year plans where being drawn up for Writers On Rafts, to contribute funds to the Queensland Premier's Flood Appeal for those affected in north Queensland and upon return to work last week QWC staff were prepping plans to make this happen.Due the events of this week and our having to evacuate our offices in the State Library this project has become even more important and pertinent. QWC has thousands of members throughout Queensland and many will be affected by the flooding.Furious work is being done at the moment to finalise details with a dedicated website expected to go live Thursday 20th January with articles to appear in the press the following weekend. Brisbane author Rebecca Sparrow has been tirelessly garnering support from the writing community and the details so far of how this will operate are as follows:
1. Through the website there will be a number of prize categories available:
- Author visit (to your book club, writer's group, school etc.
- Writer Assistance (QWC workshop, MS critique etc.
- Character Name: Get a character named after you in your favourite author's next book.
- Book Pack.
- Ultimate Girly Morning Tea with Rebecca Sparrow, Jessica Rudd, Mia Freedman, Erica Bartle, Emily Jade O'Keefe and Francis Whiting.
In addition QWC will provide each category winner with a prize pack which consists of:
- Australian Market Writer's Place Online subscription.
- WQ electronic (PDF) subscription.
- QWC merchandise.
2. Those wanting to enter the drawer will go to the website and register their details for a cost of $5.00 for each prize they wish to win. If they wish to enter for the Special Prize the cost will be $20.00.
3. There will be a winner drawn for each category for each State so for example if you are the winner of an author visit and live in NSW you will have a choice of local authors.
4. Any prize books left over after the drawer will be donated to statewide libraries and schools affected by the floods.
5. We will be publishing a target of $10,000 to be raised.
6. All QWC staff, authors etc are giving their time free-of-charge to ensure the maximum amount of money reaches the Premier's Flood Appeal.
Please note, due to power loss the QWC server is down so please contact Paul Landymore, Operations and Development Manager at email@example.com