Sunday, August 08, 2010

Wanted: military, police sources

Soldiers Lay Down Mortar Fire in Afghanistan

(Image: DVIDSHUB, Flickr)

Because of the nature of the stuff I write, I often find myself asking questions such as: 'How far away would you need to be to survive the collateral damage of a Stinger missile hitting an Agusta A109E chopper as it comes in to land'.

Writers who I admire, such as John Birmingham and David Rollins gather around them a posse of peeps who know all about this stuff, and this is what I aspire to do.

I realise that you can look stuff up on Google and read books about military life -- I do both of these -- but at the end of the day there's nothing better than firing off an email and asking the question.

I'm willing to trade my insider knowledge on how journalism works! (May not seem like much, but you'd be surprised how often writers get it wrong).

So, if you have experience in the military or law enforcement, I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment, or get in touch on Twitter.

Posted via email from garykemble's posterous

No comments: